Savannah Car Accident Lawyers at Childers & McCain, LLC Assist Clients with Out-of-State Car Accident Claims

What Happens If You Are in a Car Accident Out of State?

Car accidents are extremely stressful, particularly if your vehicle was damaged or you suffered a serious injury. Unfortunately, car accidents happen when you least expect it, including when you are traveling out of state. Whether you are traveling for business or taking a family vacation, getting into a car accident will likely raise a lot of questions, including whether your insurance policy covers out-of-state car accidents and what steps you should take to recover compensation. While your initial reaction may be to panic, rest assured that you will likely be covered by your auto insurance policy, whether the accident happened close to home or in another state. If you were injured in a car accident that occurred in another state, an experienced car accident lawyer will assist you with the claims process and help you recover the damages to which you are entitled.

Will My Auto Insurance Cover Me If I Am In an Accident Out of State?

Your auto insurance covers you when you are driving in your home state, as well as any other state in the U.S. Depending on the details of your policy, you may also be covered when traveling in Canada, Puerto Rico, and other countries. However, it is highly recommended that you confirm what your policy covers, particularly if you are traveling to another country. If you are involved in a car accident out of state, and you were at fault, your auto insurance will likely pay for the damage to your vehicle, as well as the injuries you and your passengers suffered. This includes interstate road trips, vacations to other states, and crossing state borders for work or school. Coverage requirements vary by state, although your policy’s coverage will apply, even if the state where the accident occurred has different rules about insurance.

What Steps Do I Take If I Am Involved in an Out-of-State Car Accident?

The moments following a car accident can be extremely overwhelming and chaotic. If the accident occurs while you are traveling out of state, this can be particularly stressful if you have concerns about what to do next and whether your insurance will cover your injuries and property damage. Keep in mind, however, that your policy should cover any injuries and damage caused by the accident, and you should follow the same steps as if the accident occurred in your home state. The following is a standard checklist of the steps you should take after a car accident, regardless of where it occurred:

  • Call 911 to report the accident and request an ambulance if you or anyone else involved in the accident suffered injuries.
  • Get immediate medical attention from emergency medical personnel at the accident scene, even if your injuries seem minor. If you do not get medical attention, an undiagnosed injury could become much worse. In addition, the insurance company may argue that if you did not find it necessary to get medical attention, your injuries must not be very serious, and your claim may be denied.
  • If you are able to safely move around, take pictures of the damage to your vehicle, your injuries, and the accident scene, including skid marks or debris on the road and the position of the other vehicle.
  • Exchange information with the other motorist. However, keep the conversation limited to the exchange of information. Do not say anything that could be interpreted as admitting fault, as this may be used against you in a claim.
  • Notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident.
  • Contact an experienced car accident lawyer who can help you navigate the claims process and address all of your questions about out-of-state car accidents.

What If the Accident Occurs in a No-Fault State?

Georgia is a “fault” state, which means that if you are injured in a car accident, the at-fault party is liable for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other damages associated with the accident. If you live in Georgia, and you are involved in a car accident in-state, you would file a personal injury claim against the other motorist, and the at-fault driver’s insurance policy will determine how the damages like medical expenses and lost wages will be paid. In states that use a no-fault insurance system, including Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Utah, the driver’s personal injury protection (PIP) coverage will pay for their injuries, regardless of who caused the accident. Even if you are involved in a car accident that occurred in one of the 12 no-fault states, your auto insurance policy will provide you with the minimum PIP coverage required in Georgia. A dedicated car accident lawyer will assist you with this process and ensure that your legal rights are protected.

How Do I Check the Terms of My Auto Insurance?

It is always a good idea to check the details of your insurance policy anytime you are going on a vacation or taking an interstate road trip. Call your insurance agent to make sure that your policy covers you where you are traveling. This will also give you the opportunity to ask other questions about your policy, what to do if you are involved in an accident, and what steps to take if you are unreasonably denied coverage. You can also contact your insurance agent in a number of other ways, including:

  • The insurance company’s website
  • Using the insurance company’s app on your smartphone
  • In person at your insurance carrier’s brick and mortar location

Savannah Car Accident Lawyers at Childers & McCain, LLC Assist Clients with Out-of-State Car Accident Claims

If you are injured in a car accident while traveling in another state, do not hesitate to contact the Savannah car accident lawyers at Childers & McCain, LLC. We understand how stressful it can be when you are in a car accident, particularly if it occurs in another state. We will assist you with the claims process, ensure that your legal rights are protected, and pursue the maximum financial compensation you deserve. To schedule a free consultation, call us today at 478-254-2007 or contact us online. Our office is located in Macon, Georgia, where we serve clients in Savannah, Albany, Atlanta, Bibb County, Chatham County, Columbus, Crawford County, Oglethorpe, and Peach County.

The Help You Need Can Be Found at Childers & McCain

Facing the aftermath of a serious accident can be overwhelming. Before you speak with the insurance companies, make sure you schedule a free consultation with the Macon personal injury lawyers at Childers & McCain. We can protect your rights while anticipating the insurance company’s tactics to make sure you get the full compensation you deserve. You don’t have to navigate this tough road alone – let our team of professionals help you move forward.

Schedule Your Free Consultation Today!
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.